April 15, 2010

Chocolate Sourdough Cupcakes



It's been a while since I worked 40 hours a week. It's been very easy to come home, sit down, and not move again until bedtime. I've tried to be social, and so far succeeded, but the morning after I inevitably oversleep and have to rush off to work again. My crafting time has seriously dwindled.

And that's my own fault. So, I resolve to make more stuff. In that vein, I present cupcakes. These were made with a purpose in mind. My roommate goes to a weekly potluck/supper club, and offered our house to host it. I decided that my contribution to the evening would be cupcakes, since I only had two hours between work and the start of the event. I'd seen a sourdough chocolate cake recipe and was intrigued, but rejected that particular iteration because it seemed awfully liquidy. But the concept stuck, and a quick Google search yielded this recipe. I didn't make many changes, and the first one was borne of procrastination. You're supposed to leave the starter out for 12 hours or so. Mine sat out for 2 days before I made the cake the day of the potluck.

Sourdough Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients:

1 cup thick sourdough starter
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking soda
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Directions:

Leave the starter out overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350. Cream together the butter and sugar till it's light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, and mix thoroughly. Stir in the milk, starter, vanilla, cinnamon and melted chocolate. At this point, beat the batter for a few minutes. Then sprinkle in the salt and baking soda. Finally, add the flour in slowly.

Pour into a prepared cupcake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely. They'll be pretty soft, so be gentle.

Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment